Open and Close Cash Till Best Practices
Closing Practices and definitions of Cash Till and Cash Till Summary
Opening Cash Till
In order to process cash transactions, baristas must open the till at the start of the shift when the Till Feature is enabled.
1. Tap the Cash Drawer icon in the left hand menu bar to take you to your Till Management tab.
2. Enter in the Starting Cash Balance, the name of the opening Barista, and any notes
3. Tap Confirm to open the cash till for the shift 4. Then Tap and select go to menu
Closing Cash Till
- At the end of the shift go back to the Till Management tab and select Close Till Now
- After counting cash, enter closing Cash Balance, the name of the closing Barista, and any notes. You can find the Cash Balance by going to the Reporting Beta View. Review Best Practice section below!
- Tap Confirm to see a Confirmed Till Balance sheet. Note the Difference in balance for any discrepancy. Tap Confirm & Close Till to show a Till Summary for the day. In the latest update you will also see card transactions and refunds.
- If you need to save this Till Summary to later review, we recommend taking a screenshot and sending via email to the owner or accountant. An option to save this Till Summary is a feature coming soon.
Best Practices learned for Daily Closing and Tip Payout
- Open Drawer and count total Cash in the Drawer
- After counting cash, enter closing Cash Balance, the name of the closing Barista, and any notes. You can find the Cash Balance by going to the Reporting Beta View. Review Best Practice section below.
- Go to Merchant.joe.coffee and review total Cash Sales from joe POS for today’s date and confirm that it aligns with total cash sales subtracting from your initial starting balance.
- We recommend establishing a close out form so you can calculate and keep track of closing tills. Here is an example of a Daily Close out and Tip Payout Form.
- If you are running a secondary POS systems to process gift cards, or transition customers from your previous reward system, simply leverage the data provided from that system and include in your close out form to view discrepancies or additional cash transactions.
- Close Till and enter proper information.
To find the most accurate information for Cash Sales for the day please visit https://merchant.joe.coffee/
- To begin reconsolidating please login to https://merchant.joe.coffee/
- Select the the Reporting Dashboard Tab.
- Go to the Reporting Filter and select Today.
- Then review "Cash Sales" under Payment Type and review Total Tips on the left hand side.
- Always make sure to refresh data views to have most up to date information.
Daily Sales Closing Sheet
- Input the Employee Names associated to the Cash Till in your Daily Sales Closing Sheet
- Input total cash sales + Total Tips information from Merchant Portal Reporting Tab
- Implement Cash Calculations that work best for your coffee shop
- Depending on your tip payout process please review the bottom section to divide tips properly using cash sales
- Close and Date the Cash Till for tomorrow morning opening